The status of a permanent resident, means, the possession of a GC is not permanent. Just like the driver’s license, the green card needs to be updated from time to time. As a rule, green cards are a valid term for 10 years. Therefore, if you still have a green card with no expiration date on the front, you must immediately replace it in order to have a valid document confirming your immigration status in the US. Of course, if you have not applied for a green card replacement and not paying a consular fee, you will not be fined and will not lose permanent resident status.
Still, don’t let the green card to expire and update it on time. Without a valid certification, you will have problems with proving that you are a permanent resident, and this can also influence on your ability to travel or work in the US. This page will give you complete information about how to renew your Green Card and how much does it cost to renew green card.
As an alien, you may need going through Green Card renewal process if you, for example, lost it or someone had stolen it from you, or you just already passed a 10-year period of holding your card. That means your Green Card is expired and you need to apply for a new one as a renewed.
You need to renew your Green Card in case if:
- card was lost, stolen or destroyed/ damaged
- card was issued but never received by you
- card was mutilated
- card printed with incorrect data
- name or other biometric information has been legally changed
- have reached your 14th birthday and are registering as required
- card is expiring within 6 months or has already expired
- get a commuter status.
You can check the green card fees and cost of each case and find out the total amount of money you have to pay for your renewal, but also, there are cases which free to pass. Look at the link and find the exact example for your case in the chart, so you can be sure how much you need to pay.
- 1 Status of your application for renewal process
- 2 Green Card Renewal application Form I-90
- 3 Green Card Renewal Fee Waiver
- 4 How can you pay for renewal Green card
- 5 List of steps
Video – And know is a right time to ask how to apply to renew your Green Card?
It is important to apply and obtain permission to re-enter the US before leaving the country for 12 months or more, in order to avoid losing permanent resident status. Not being able to prove a temporary stay abroad can result in the loss of the Green Card. Nevertheless, in certain cases, if you have been abroad for a long period of time and did not have this permission, you can apply for an SB-1 visa for Green Card holders who wish to return to the United States.
If you are a permanent resident whose 10-year Green Card has expired or will expire within the next 6 months, you may begin the renewal process by:
- Online E-Filing Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card
- Filing a paper Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card by mail
- Pay the renew green card fee
If you are outside the United States and your green card will expire within 6 months (but you will return within 1 year of your departure from the United States and before the card expires), you should start the renewal process as soon as you come back to the United States.
If you are outside of the United States when the card expires and you have not applied for the renewal card prior to your departure, you should contact the nearest U.S. Consulate, USCIS office, or U.S. port of entry before attempting to file Form I-90 for a renewal green card.
A good question too is when to renew a Green Card? You should renew your green card if you are a permanent resident with a Form I-551 valid for 10 years and the card is either expired or will expire within the next 6 months.
Status of your application for renewal process
You have a possibility to get to know about your case status online at My Case Status. Please remember that an e-filed receipt number may not be available through “My Case Status” for the first 72 hours. In case if you have additional questions about this theme, you also can make a call to the USCIS National Customer Service Center (NCSC) at 1-800-375-5283. You should be prepared to provide the USCIS staff with specific information about your application:
- Alien Registration Number
- Name and date of birth
- Your receipt number
Be ready that your application can be denied. If that happened to your renewal application soon you will receive the letter which tells you why your application has been denied. You won’t appeal a negative decision. But you have a right to submit a motion to reopen or a motion to reconsider with the same office that made the unfavorable decision about your case. By filing such a motion, you will ask the USCIS office to reexamine or reconsider its decision. Preparing to give facts and evidence that can help to prove that the negative decision was incorrect.
Sometimes happens you are having a previous version of the alien registration card, it may be USCIS Form AR-3, Form AR-103 or Form I-151. It means you must replace it with a current Green Card.
Green Card Renewal application Form I-90
Every person who submits a Form I-90, Application to Replace PR Card, can create a USCIS online account to track and manage their case online.
If you submit a paper Form I-90 application, you will receive a USCIS Account Acceptance Notice in the mail with instructions on how to create a USCIS online account. The advantages of having a USCIS online account are that you can:
- Check the status of your case
- Receive notifications and case updates
- Respond to requests for evidence
- Manage your contact information, including updating your address
If you are an attorney or accredited representative, creating a USCIS online account will allow you to manage all of your clients’ Form I-90 applications in one place.
USCIS organization will provide further processing on your application even if you choose not to access your USCIS online account. You will continue to receive notifications and updates about your application by mail through the U.S. Postal Service.
The USCIS office does not accept forms submitted without the correct biometric services fees now. You need pay the applicable biometric services fees which is 85$ when you filling your Form I 90.
The USCIS can reject your Form I-90 if there won’t be the correct biometric services fee paid already, as was written in the guidance for the filing the Form I-90.
Green Card Renewal Fee Waiver
If you need to apply for Green Card renewal, or changing status, or get a citizenship or other services in USCIS, but you don’t have enough money to pay the fee, you can use I-912 Form, Request for Fee Waiver. This form created for those who have some financial issues and cannot pay for USCIS services by themselves.
You can fill this form on the PC or write by hand. The only one condition which you need to know – as all immigration forms, the I-912 should be filled with black color and, if it’s possible, in block letters.
The full filled I-912 form should be attached to the other immigration form which you will send to the USCIS.
To submit this form are eligible those who:
- Receive state disability benefits, food stamp, or social financial assistance. (Do not forget to attach proof to the completed form that you and/or your family will receive financial help from the state).
- Whose family income is at or below the federal poverty line. (If this is your situation, and you do not receive social assistance but are below the poverty line, you should attach proofs in the form of a salary check, the number of family members, and the indication of monthly expenses for housing, food, utilities).
- Currently in a difficult financial situation (for example, lack of work or other temporary difficulties, because of which you cannot pay the fee for the documents submitted.)
If your application provides biometric services (fingerprints), then the fee for them will also be excluded from the payment of immigration services. That is, you will not need to submit an additional form I-912 or pay this fee separately.
USCIS can reject your Form I-90 if there won’t be the correct biometric services fee paid already, as was written in the guidance for the filing the Form I-90.
How can you pay for renewal Green card
In nowadays exist two ways which will help you to pay for renewal process for your Green card.
You can pay with a check
Bank drafts, cashier’s checks, certified checks, personal checks, and money orders must be drawn on U.S. financial institutions and payable in U.S. funds. If you are paying your fees by check, please be aware of the following:
- Authorization: By submitting your check, you authorize that USCIS authorities will convert your check into an electronic fund transfer. If the transfer cannot occur for technical reasons, you authorize us to process the copy of your original check through ordinary simple paper check bank procedures.
- Electronic Deposit of Checks: If you are paying your fees by check, we will convert your check into an electronic fund transfer too. We will use the account information from your check to make an electronic fund transfer from your checking account for the amount of the check. It is an ordinary bank procedure.
- Insufficient Funds: The electronic fund transfer from your account can occur faster than when you send a paper check to the USCIS office. If your check or other financial instrument is returned as unpayable, USCIS authorities will resubmit the payment one time again to re-check the process of payment. If it is returned as unpayable once again, the second time, USCIS will reject your filing and will charge you a 30$ returned check fee.
Personal checks must be pre-printed with the name of the bank and the account holder (your name). Also, your address and phone number must be pre-printed, typed or written in black ink on the check. All checks must be typed or written in black pen ink.
You can pay with a card
Also, you can make a payment with your card. You may use Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover. You may also use pre-paid cards with Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover logos on it. Check what cards you have in your wallet and find if there are a logos named before in the list.
If you choose to make a payment with a credit or gift card, you must pay the entire fee using a single card. Be sure that the credit card or gift card you want to use for a payment has enough money to cover the fee. USCIS will reject your application if the card is declined.
List of steps
To ensure your Form I-90 is accepted for processing:
- Fill out the form completely and accurately
- Sign the form with your signature
- Pay the correct filing fee
- Submit all evidence and supporting documentation listed in the Form Instructions. Please submit photocopies unless USCIS specifically requests originals.
Acceptable methods of payment:
- Filing by Mail: Check or money order (No credit or debit card, no cash)
- Filing Online: Credit card, debit card, or U.S. bank account
|Reason for Application||Form Fee||Biometric Services||Total|
|My card has been lost, stolen, or destroyed.||$455||$85||$540|
|My previous card was issued but never received.||free||free||free|
|My card has been mutilated.||$455||$85||$540|
|My existing card has incorrect data because of DHS error.||free||free||free|
|My name or other information has been legally changed.||$455||$85||$540|
|My card will expire within six months or has already expired.||$455||$85||$540|
|I have reached my 14th birthday, and my existing card will expire after my 16th birthday.||$0||$85||$85|
|I have reached my 14th birthday and my existing card will expire before my 16th birthday.||$455||$85||$540|
|I am a permanent resident who is taking up commuter status.||$455||$85||$540|
|I am a commuter who is taking up residence in the U.S.||$455||$85||$540|
|I have been automatically converted to permanent residence status.||$455||$85||$540|
|I have a prior edition of the card, or I am applying to replace my card for a reason not specified above.||$455||$85||$540|
If you have any questions about this theme feel free to comment below and communicate with other people through the web site to help each other.Your point of view is very important for us.
So tell us what you want to know or ask any questions here.